Wednesday 28 March 2012

I Can't Even Imagine How Handsome That Man Must Be Blushing.


Mad Men, finally returned. Finally. And the wait really was worth it, even if if just for anticipation's sake.
Its hard to describe it properly, but during the opening credits of the show, and that iconic symphony- this strange feeling was rising in my heart.You know when you have waited for something for so long, ad then its finally happening right before your eyes, and its believable and unreal at the same time.
The fact that I'd finally be seeing a new episode of Mad Men b(after having seen countless reruns in the last year and a half) was simply unbelievable. Its just one of those things na, the realisation of the something you have waited for a very long time.Okay, I don't think I'm doing  a very good job of describing the feeling so let drop it.

Anyway, the show started with the Y&R stunt, and ended on similar, related note.The premiere is set in 1966 , just around the time the civil rights movement that was picking momentum, and these historic events formed a frame for the 2 hour episode.The 5th season picks up pretty much where sean 4 left off, give or take a few months.


First things first. Sally has grown up. She has this strange , grown-up air about her. I know, even in season 4 she has that peculiar poise but somehow it was more unsettling this time around. She's like a little grown-up, keeping track of schedules and all- you know? I think if in real life I were to come across such a 12 year old I'd probably find her annoying, but in her case I don't. Probably because as viewers we know she has gone through ayyy-lot. She kinda has to be the mother hen to her little brothers as well, so her evolution makes sense. At the same time you just know that this girl is going to have major issues in life as a grown up.

Okay, moving on. The thing that I think everyone wanted to know was wth would happen with Don and Megan.
1) Will they actually get married?
 Yes, they did.Megs is the proud owner of the most coveted title in the world : Mrs Don Draper.

2) Can Megan keep Don happy?
Well- from what it seems, Don is happy. Megs I don't really care about, I think there is a generation gap between Don and Megs which Megs doesn't feel too good about because she wants to party and have fun and Don feels that he's already giving too much too this relationship by wearing a smile on that gorgeous mug on a semi-regular basis, and if he gives anything more he'd be qualified as whipped. Okay, the last part may not be that true, but there is that feel, especially after the surprise party Megs throws for Don. Its interesting to see the relationship dynamic between Don and M. Its surprisingly normal. Its healthy, Its happy. You can't help but compare it to Don and Betty's tension filled, passive-aggressive relationship. You kinda miss their dysfunctionality. Its still interesting to see Don be a kind and calm person for a change. He's in that honeymoon phase of his relationship, and you see the effect it has on him. I like that we're shown that even Don can have a honeymoon phase, you hardly expect it- I mean he's no Roger Sterling ( who also married his 20 something secretary and was madly in love with her ; before he got over it) , whoalthough shares similar s vices as Don, yet seems to be much less weighed down by existential issues (does'nt take himself as seriously)/ I guess what the creator of the show is trying to tell  us is that core of every human experience remains the same/similar (?)

P.S- Meg is annoying. Its very hard for me to accept any woman with D, except Bets - and that too mainly because that's how I got to know her, and second it was not a very passionate marriage so it was much easier to deal with. With Megs he's different. Yes I  know, honeymoon period and all, but like Megs is upset and she goes home and Don runs back after her. Excuse me?
I swear the most relieving par of the entire episode was seeing that Don was mortified by his young, new wife's  burlesque rendition of Zou Bisous Bisous in front of a bunch of guests at the party.
You can see shades of the old Don. After the party, he doesn't even pretend to have liked Meg's surprise for his birthday. He's dismissive, and unlike what Megs expected, he doesn't lay a finger on her.
Oh wells.She got her share later.


Joan has had Roger's baby although I'm not sure if Roger himself knows , although he probably does.Joan is as smokin as ever, those curves and that meat could do no other human being as much justice as they do to her.She has taken time off work, and from what it seems she can't wait to go back to it. Also, I loevd how warmly Don met her when she dropped by at the office for a visit. I was discussing this with some friends last night, Joan would be the perfect Mrs Draper. She does the name justice. Speaking of which, I think something is brewing or has been brewn (?) between the two. Why?

1) Joan wants to go back to work, her snippy little mother wants her to stay at home with the child. Mother says something like Megan probably doesn't want you around her husband type, which was very off, since D and J have been working at the same place for eons. Typically I wouldn't look too much into it and pass it on as a  jealous mom taunt until....
2) When Joan comes to visit the office, and all the secretaries and Don are fawning over Joan/baby, Megan is walking past, she sees the little party and turns quickly  to slink away, before Joan notices this and calls her, to which she responds by running over like an attention starved puppy.
 Side note: its awesome how Joan can scare the living lights out of the secretarial pool without even raising her voice.Megs isn't even a secretary anymore she's a 'creative' now.
3) Joan and Lane are having a little bonding moment and Lane tells her about the party and Megs striplesstease and Joan is all like no! what about bout Don?( p.s- reminder Joan was once put in a similar position by he husband asked to perform for his hospital colleagues and she also sings a french song, but no comparison between the two in terms of style and sexual content)

Lane: I saw his soul leave his body

Joan:  I can't even imagine how handsome that man must be blushing.

Best line ever.

Haina? Haina? there is something very telling. I just cant put my finger on it. Yet.
I think we should start a bet on this. 

Peggy is the same old. Thank God that writer boyfriend Abe/Gabe is still around. They're cute together. I think she resents Megan a little, only because she misses Don's attention. Possibly also to see a man like him be transformed by a twenty something candy floss you know? Also I think Pegs has a bit of a Don-entitlement complex  where she feels she is entitled to him and everything he can offer only because they share a deep understanding. I think she also resents that he has never made a move on her.

Roger Sterling is awesome. He is an asshole, and has become so useless to the agency that even the secretaries don't mince words with him, but hell he gets the best one liners. Like really.His interactions with his young 'glamourpuss' wife are epic.I kinda wonder if their relationship is foreshadowing Don and Megs path since the demographics and circumstances are pretty close.





Pete and Roger's little cold war is fun. More importantly we see that (Pete and Pegs) are perhaps the only ones who are actually interested in work at the agency now. the senior partners, apart from Lane are all chilling. Don doesn't care either. He comes late goes early and only wants to spend time with this wife.

Hold on.

I think there was not one scene of Don pouring himself  a drink in his office bar. I would think that was a sacred rite. but I guess Megs has changed everything. We hate her, we hate her more than the know-it-all daughter in Gilmore Girls.
Its not her fault.
It just comes with the title.

Okay this has become too long, but I have to  say. I miss Betty. I need to see that ice cold stare , that bitchy attitude and that snarky tone. I'm kind craving to see how much more delusional she's gotten. I swear if they make her happy and warm as well it will piss me off.

What did everyone else think/ wouldn't it be awesome if all Mad Men episodes were two hour long?

No comments:

Post a Comment